View Single Post
Old 15-06-10, 02:15 PM

Default 19th Hussars Double Scroll Elephant

Hi Peter

Your post is positively one of the most exhilarating contributions to this Forum since I joined. At long, long last we are getting very close to being able to identify the authenticity of the famous "double scroll" elephant with seriously increased degrees of confidence.

I knew Sid Luscombe well from the good old days of badge collecting, we were both members of the Southern Branch of the Military Historical Society, so ably lead by Gordon Dine. We used to meet in the Keep of the castle in Dorchester, formerly the home of the Dorset Regiment, once a month and look at various badges with varying degrees of envy.

One of my fondest memories was the ocassion when Sid (he was never Sidney then) produced the Double Scroll, even in those days a badge of great wonderment. I have to admit I was actually allowed to hold it for a very short while. (I contemplated doing a runner and looked at the arrow slits. My bulk being greater than their width plus the fact we were on the third floor dissuaded me,) but it was a very distinct highlight of my time in this hobby.

You are right in saying that these survived in this country in very small numbers. Hugh King told me he believed there were only six. I wish I knew what happened to the rest.

Hugh King's sold at auction not that long ago. If we could find the present owner and compare the two badges it would give us a baseline for future identifications.

I will PM you on one or two ideas.

Best wishes

Gordon