View Single Post
Old 29-06-19, 10:31 AM

Not sure what other ex Guardsman on this Forum have experienced but certainly when I was a Recruit and indeed an Instructor at the Guards Depot, Home Service Uniform (ie the tunic, tweeds and Bearskin Cap) were never issued to Recruits, which is what I believe the term Trainee Guardsman refers to.

There could of course be exceptions but I think it unlikely. The Home Service Uniform was only ever issued when stationed in London District and when the Battalion in question was assigned a Public Duties/Infantry role and would be returned to stores when stationed elsewhere.

As regards to the naming of Guardsmans tunics, again in my day this would be the exception to the rule. Normally an approximately sized tunic would be issued and then a parade would take place where the Master Tailor would put a few chalk marks here and there and lo and behold a few days later the tunic would appear from the Tailors Shop with the alterations completed. The only named tunics would be for those who needed a tunic to be made due their size or dimensions which could not be supplied from existing stock and the order would be outsourced to a clothing Company.

This was all some time ago so I would be interested to hear what has changed!

Simon.