View Single Post
Old 22-01-17, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinRF View Post
The small, curved "AUSTRALIA" titles were worn by Officers, on the lapels immediately underneath the General Service collars, but I have only seen these being worn early on - more commonly/perhaps even only within the First Contingent.

Hello MartinRF

The "AUSTRALIA" title signified those troops destined for overseas service - hence the use of the term "Imperial" within "A.I.F.". The A.M.F. / P.M.F. did not use it, though there are evidences of P.M.F. badges being worn together with the "AUSTRALIA" shoulder title - these instances would have been those who had served in the P.M.F. (never much other than 10,000 strong) and had signed up for overseas service (in the A.I.F.).

Some more of my devices...

(8{
The PMF at any time was never much more than 1000 strong until it became the Regular Army after the Second World War. The 'Australia' title in gilt was worn by officers of the Australian Staff Corps in overseas postings from 1922. The Australian Siege Brigade was initially raised from volunteers of the PMF, and reinforced from volunteers from the CMF. It was a wholly AIF unit, not PMF, and wore the 'Australia' title as well as the copper oxidised hat and collar badges of the Siege Brigade, which were based on the RAA collar badge. The RAA scroll was not authorised as a hat badge for the PMF until 1921.

We probably need a photo if we may of the officers wearing the curved Australia title on their collars. They were authorised to wear the unit numeral and corps designation on their collars but most of them appear to have avoided doing that as well.

Cheers, Keith