View Single Post
Old 17-12-16, 06:56 PM

Default 1er FM Commando (Kieffer Commando) beret badge -

Good afternoon,

I wonder if any forum members can provide further information on this beret badge (likely date of manufacture)..

I discovered this badge in my father's memorabilia drawer while hunting for a memento to give to a US Marine veteran friend of ours. This is my father's badge and he tells me that it was given to him personally by his good friend Maurice Chauvet after the war (my father is a RM Commando D-Day veteran and was seconded to 4 (Army) Commando from Sept '44 as signaller to 6 (French) Tp at Flushing/Vlissingen in November '44 and thereafter. His C/O was Guy Vourc'h.

I assume the badge is a post-war manufacture as it is unnumbered, but I wonder if it might possibly be an unissued WWII-era one? It is inscribed "J.R Gaunt c1943"

My father never wore a BFM badge on his beret during his time with the French of 4 Cdo, only his RM Globe & Laurel (as can be seen by the attached photo of him with 6 Tp at Flushing/Vlissingen 1 Nov 1944: He is 3rd L, identified by his RM cap badge and radio), but does so nowadays alongside his RM badge when attending commemorative events etc.

I'd be most grateful for any provenance info on this badge and how it compares to original WWII issued ones.

TVM,
Oxonian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2082.jpg (83.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2084.jpg (69.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 391195195_02b6be0fda.jpg (91.4 KB, 41 views)