View Single Post
Old 20-04-08, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

I saw one of these badges for sale at Middle Wallop last week for £35. The problem I have with them is that all the ones I have seen are unmarked, of 'die-struck' construction rather than the usual solid backed and always in perfect mint condition. Note the similarity with the 3rd Hussars which has been somewhat discredited.

Without looking at my collection I have examples of K/C RUR, Essex, the RWarks, 3rd Hussars, Fife and Forfar Yeomanry, SStaffs. I have seen the Hants Yeo, Rifle Brigade k/c, AEA cypher Wiltshire Regiment, Berkshire yeomanry, Suffolk and East Yorkshire as well with the same attributes.

All of these with blank sliders. Now I have a genuine gold Berkshire Yeomanry with solid back and Timings slider so that one was made.

Most of these were also sold by a badge dealer in Colchester who openly sells restrike bi-metal badges. I would love all these 1950's badges to be genuine but I doubt it. Research is still ongoing but the majority of 1950's pattern badges that I have were actually worn by the TA or cadets in the '60s and '70s.

Either someone has unearthed a box of 1950's unissued badges made in a way that is generally not found in 1960's, and later era, badges or someone has faked them: likely to have been John Gaylor's private commissions according to several sources.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 08-01-20 at 09:49 AM.