View Single Post
Old 18-09-12, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Not so sure that the observations can all be attributed to this economy. The demographics of collecting may have more to do with the situation than economic forces. How many younger/new collectors were there at the shows? Perhaps the frenzy of bidding on CEF badges last fall was the peak for this particular cycle.

Bill I have found that if serious collector wants something bad enough to fill a long standing gap in his collection, he will go for it even if he has to overpay for it.
If I see a badge/medal that I know is rare & I want it I will in all probability overpay for it.
I did that earlier this summer with a very rare medal (to a Canadian) that came my way. I wont see one of these again in my lifetime. I also had a medal re- unite couple yrs back (again a rare one & another Canadian), & yes I overpaid for that one too - but it comes down to:
how badly do I want it?
& can I afford NOT to miss it?

Your 2nd point - younger collectors - I see a few of them at my table now & then, but yes they are somewhat scarce on the ground, so I do all I can to encourage a newbie. But many have told me the pricey & scarcer badges etc are beyond them.

CEF - I cannot comment on as I dont collect them & am not knowledgable enough to make an opinion, but I expect they are the same as medals - lots of scarce & rarely seen ones!

RCN Bryan