View Single Post
Old 27-03-19, 02:48 PM

Having just received my copy of Jon's master-work I not only echo all the good comments in this thread, but also add that the detailed index and superb layout make the 2 volumes easy to navigate. It is a massive subject and Jon has to be congratulated on his clarity of presentation. It is obvious that a huge amount of thought has gone into the structure of each Chapter, and how each Chapter contributes to the whole. Jon is also to be congratulated on his word-craft. The amount of information contained in each page, paragraph or sentence is remarkable. Yet it retains a user friendly style that will educate experts and beginners alike. The copious footnotes gain optimal efficiency in 'fluidity' of text, balanced with provision of vital notes on sources - in deed the sources listed will no doubt prompt many researchers to dig further into the files noted. I would think the number of images included in this work, supported by relevant text, provide unprecedented contextual evidence of where, why, when and how the various elements of insignia were worn. It is difficult to be too 'glowing' about this publication - enough has been said by other contributors to this thread, and in the foreword by General The Lord Richard Dannatt GCB, CBE, MC, DL no less - sufficient to say, it surely is a 'must have' source of research for anyone interested in Military Insignia and our military heritage.
Many thanks Jon for this ground-breaking addition to our libraries.
Mike