View Single Post
Old 28-05-10, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ticker' Riley View Post
I recently purchased the Uppingham OSD badge below, however I was a little dubious before I got it as the colouration looked a bit odd in the photos on e-bay:

When it arrived I was even more concerned as the front looked to be quite yellow on the raised areas, such as along the letters in the bottom ‘Uppingham’ title, and the back seemed to have too much verdigris, which looked as though it had possibly been deliberately applied. As I was not happy that the badge was genuine, I quickly returned it for a refund, but seeing the one on another thread here I am now having second thoughts!?

Like the one badgecollector posted to the other thread, the badge I bought had an overlaid ‘Uppingham’ scroll, though it did not seem to have the distinct traces of the word ‘Leicestershire’ showing through on the back as that one does. As I have already said, the one I had had a yellowish colouring in parts, which was actually even more pronounced on the back beneath all the verdigris, whereas badgecollector’s one looks to be the nice brown colour you would expect an OSD badge to be. My question is - have I been over hasty in sending this badge back, or was I right to be suspicious that it was probably not an original Uppingham OSD? Any thoughts or comments on things would be gratefully received - many thanks.

Regards

Martin
It's an interesting thread and I'm suprised no-one has commented yet so here goes.

I have some similar objects also to an OTC both Cranleigh. The looped badge has an overlaid scroll over an all brass back. Why, as being blackened it could easily have been a single stamp? The second has an overlaid scroll over a Queens all brass. I can only put the reason down to economy with these badges privately sourced and the supplier using exisiting dies where possible (or pulling a fast one on the college!) rather than making a unique die. I think I also have a similar example to a collar size Charterhouse OTC, again a Queens cadet unit so maybe this was common practice where the parent regiment's badge could be utilized.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KK.2532. Cranleigh OTC. (2). F.jpg (59.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg KK.2532. Cranleigh OTC. (2). R.jpg (56.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg KK.2532. Cranleigh OTC. F.jpg (62.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg KK.2532. Cranleigh OTC. R.jpg (57.6 KB, 25 views)