View Single Post
Old 28-03-19, 02:31 AM

Default Research on Australian Army insignia items 1091 to 1953

After Arthur Butler and I finished Vols 1 and 2 of our work on post 1953 (metal) insignia worn by Australian Army personnel, the question arose as to whether we would go back further and put out reference works on earlier periods. The answer was always... 'maybe'.

For various reasons, we were reluctant to head down that path too quickly and instead, we looked at updating/revising the first 2 Volumes and then going on to compile Volume 3, which will cover post 1953 (metal) rank and trade insignia. So, we've been quietly working away on that plan. Nevertheless, after a research trip to Canberra last year, we were told that the Australian Army Museum network would support the photographic research needed to compile pre-1953 period reference works. So... 'not to look a gift horse in the mouth', we have also begun work on two new proposed works... covering 1901 through to 1952.

Since the New Year, we have begun photographing and documenting the insignia housed in Australian Army museums in each State. In the process of doing that, we are compiling a list of insignia which are known for each period, although not being included in the Army Museum system or in the AWM's holdings. So, as we complete the current work on the Australian Army Museum holdings, we are approaching collectors who have key accumulations of their own. The hope is, that we will eventually be able to assemble a 'near complete' pictorial record of insignia on issue since federation and up to 'QEII's' accession in1953.

If there is interest amongst forum members, I could post lists of insignia which remain missing from our book photography list and anyone who can help the projects out, can post replies or send me 'private message' if you can help in any way?

To start that ball rolling, please see below, an image of an AWM insignia specimen card, which shows two Officers' collar badges, but neither form a matching pair. This is exactly the sort of problem we expect to confront in tackling the new books... 'incomplete' sets. So, if anyone has a pair of these 24th Btn (Kooyong) Officers' collars that you are willing to let us measure, weigh and photograph, we would be very pleased to hear from you, as we schedule our inter-State museum and private collection visit schedule this year.

Regards and thanks in advance to you all

Mark Corcoran
https://charliebravobooks.com/
Co Author of: “Metal Uniform Embellishments of the Australian Army” Post 1953 (the 'QEII' era) Vol 1: Insignia for Corps and Schools Etc and Vol 2: Insignia for Units and Regiments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24 Bn Officers Collar pair required for photography.jpg (46.1 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Mark Corcoran; 29-03-19 at 12:45 AM.