View Single Post
Old 16-02-21, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
I believe that genuine Leinster Regiment cap badges had a one piece white metal part with two overlays in the form of a title scroll and a crown. The badge shown has an entirely different construction with a separate scroll attached by two tabs. There may be a sweat hole behind the crown but my bet is that there isn't. I am happy to change my opinion if someone can provide photographic evidence.
That’s fine but very much I feel a personal decision and stance. To my knowledge there are no pictures of double scroll Nelly’s, any of the country or cavalry HMRR badges or RND MGC in wear.

The ‘curly scroll’ Leinster bears striking resemblance to the below 3DG and 10H badges.

Whilst I’ve not compared them in detail yet it is something on my to-do-list. Like these Leinsters the quality in strike and flaws present can vary enormously making fine detailed comparisons harder.

However, the coronet’s jewels, reverse scroll impressions and even the sliders found on all three show commonality from examples I’ve seen.

Both 3DG and 10H badges feature in Wilkinson, the 3rd DG of this type is shown in KK so I don’t doubt their provenance.

I recently purchased an example of each as WW1 variants and curios. I’ve seen examples with braze holes and others without.

From a manufacturing perspective if you were already making the below badges and took on a contract for a Leinster badge it would be an expedient, economical and financially attractive proposition to not cut a whole new die but manufacture a tag on scroll.