View Single Post
Old 24-07-21, 10:24 AM

I'd forgotten what a great selection of badges you have.

Associate Member - Interesting that top scroll is part of the badge and not a seperate 'addition'.

Womans Auxiliary - Possibly similar to the British Legion in 1922.
Quote:
Subsequently, the word "Auxiliary" was then removed from the name to become The Women's Section.
1921 Banner/scroll - You've previously shown the 1920 one , so possibly simply a conference item . A 1921 example I've seen has had the 'attachment' soldered in place , so it's likely that due to the original 'hook on' fitting the date bar got seperated/lost from the badges and that is why so few exist today.

Official scroll - The example I've seen is a standard badge with the scroll 'brazed' onto it , this would indicate that these badges were specially modified rather than manufactured which could account for so few being seen.

Irish - A "post" was established in Carlow in 1918 (67 men) and there were also "posts" in Rathvilly, Tullow and Bagenalstown.
Quote:
Tonight we have a "Post" but when we have 100 members we will be enlarged to a Branch
How many veterans were there ? One article states :
Quote:
When the Irish Divisions raised for the war were demobilised, roughly 100,000 war veterans returned to Ireland
The highest number I've seen on an Irish badge is 28,781 which would represent approximately 1 in 3 of those who returned , which could be about right considering the political situation in Ireland at the time.

NB - All the large badges I have seen were made by Gaunt but while they also made the majority of smaller badges I have also seen examples by :

Thomas Fattorini & Sons Bradford

J.Taylor & Co. London

and mention of badges made by :

Batty & Sons Manchester

J.W Hood & Son Southampton

plus there are unmaked badges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
You see the large badge "255" but then there is the small badge numbered "325"!
I wonder if there was an 'administrative error' at branch level and a members ' "branch membership number" was stamped on the small badge rather than the national badge number ?

Poppy and British Legion Wanted