View Single Post
Old 11-12-08, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Guys thanks for all the input so far.
Mazeas is an excellent reference, and the basic bible for the king's crown era in Canadian badges. However, as we were working through the badge registry, some errors became apparent. Editing the catalogue makes sure that the reference is as accurate as possible.
Some good questions have been asked about cataloging the varieties of badges. David has asked an important question about the amount of detail for a catalogue.
The officers' badges are the most glaring example of omissions. Why Daniel Mazeas only included the handful he did was not explained. Most regiments did have officer's pattern badges. These should be listed.
Should significant differences in badge runs be listed? There was some discussion about the Irish Regiment varieties in the thread about DavidG's badge finds. The question about runs is differentiation and documentation. What exactly would constitute a difference? This would be somewhat arbitrary at some point.
It is certainly worth pursuing. The Canadian Badge Index is a major step towards this. Could it, and should it at some point be converted to a published reference? Digital?
Some information on a specific question. The Wellington Rifles were not the only unit to be granted "infantry of the line" status by becoming a regiment. The Algonquin Rifles were also granted the designation of "Regiment" in 1929. The Algonquin Rifles badges, blackened, were to have the blacking removed to reflect the new designation. There are M144 badges around that have had the blacking removed. If Mazeas included the two patterns of badges to represent the two different designations for the Wellington Regiment, the same should be done for the Algonquin Regiment.
Another numbering error. M131 represents both the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders and the Military School of Piping. The A & SH Military School of Piping should be numbered M131a.
David, my old eyes may be tricking me, but I can't find an S29. The officer's general list badge in my copy of Mazeas is numbered S28. There is no S29 that I can find. Should that become the or's general list badge?