View Single Post
Old 31-03-08, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
This one is selling on Ebay . By the look of the slider I would say WW1 .
Anyone agree ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-West-Y...QQcmdZViewItem
Being a collector of badges to Yorkshire i have over 50 West Yorks badges of which at least 14 are based on this style of badge. Most are officer variants in bronze and S+G but i also have nco`s wm, volunteers as well as all brass examples. There are two distinct styles of text which are used one being a bold type `WEST YORKSHIRE` with a deep scroll with a more exagerated curve on the scroll, the second with the same lettering but much sharper, slightly smaller with less of a gap between the letters and the scroll. I have an example of the latter for a pre-1902 genuine volunteers badge as well as a wwi economy. I think the loose scroll that is depicted in your initial thread was used probably during wwii though it is only my opinion. I cannot find an early badge with this `loose` scroll on it. The badge itself i think is genuine despite the oversized brazing points. Another point to note is that the horses nose is slightly more vertical than the norm and also the style of the front legs being connected is also rare in other ranks badges. I think this is down to a manufacturers variation rarther than a repro though. The most unusual people were called upon to manufacture cap badges when the balloon went up both in the first and second wars.
Hope this helps,
Keep smiling, Dave (The Tyke)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WestYorks.jpg (39.3 KB, 63 views)