View Single Post
Old 17-10-12, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
I speculate that the badge originally posted was intended for wear in the Universal Service Dress headddress (terai or slouch hat), c. 1902-1904, the slider being able to fit the socket produced for that cap and which was also approved for the FSH.

I base this on the following: WO359/12 P120-121 records that on 5th Jan 1903, at a meeting in the pattern room of the RACD, the decision was taken that the same badge was to be worn on both the FSH, and the Universal Service Hat. The records of this meeting show that for cavalry the FSC badge was to be used, infantry regiments were to use their helmet plate centres, and both were to be fitted with a slider. Also with the fact that the socket for the slouch hat was, I believe, of a size to take this length of slider

In this case the FSH means the white FSH. So yes I think these sliders were approved for the FSH c. 1903 but also for the slouch hat. These slider lengths seem to have been abandoned shortly thereafter.

Now I know nothing about the ASC cap badge patterns so will not be wholly surprised if the pattern attached does not match the dates above.

John
The badge in the first post is a George the 6th RASC badge, issued between 1937 and 1947.
In the book "Badges & Insignia of the RASC, RCT & their predecessors" a GviR RASC badge (#3-24) is described as "A slightly larger badge, not voided with a long slider was worn with the pagri between wars".

Rgds,

Thomas.