View Single Post
Old 17-10-12, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc View Post
i do like the sentence 'No badges,plumes, hackles or ornaments of any description are to be worn on the kharki helmet.'

we can take the dress regulations as gospel then.
Bob
Bob,

I don't think anything is gospel, but to be fair this example of rule breaking is in my opinion/experience very much the exception rather than the rule.

As an example, 1 RMF was stationed in Rangoon 1911-1914, moving to Poona in early 1915 and there are plenty of photos, a lot on the web, showing all ranks wearing a hackle and a metal "M Grenade F" badge on first a rectangular, and then a shamrock cloth backing in the khaki FSH.

In 1915 the battalion landed in Coventry , on their way to forming up in 29th Division fort he Dardanelles. There is well documented photographs of the battalion, most still in Indian khaki service dress with FSH's on arrival in Coventry but now the hackle, badge and backing are gone.

Perhaps they were conforming to regulation now that they were stationed at home and less able to exercise the freedom from regulations that seems to have been possible in Burma & India.

So the dress regs were certainly not followed as gospel but are still very valuable, with other sources for research.

John