View Single Post
Old 20-08-15, 11:41 AM
Former Member

Stu,
Just to confuse matters, perhaps the term "Semi Official" could also be employed? These would be items such as PRI Mottos, or the Silver and embroidered WG beret badges, which although worn are authorised replacements for official items!

You hit the nail on the head with the term "Reproduction", which is what I use for all the crud being peddled as original. There are very few "Restrike" items amongst this crud, i.e. Insignia produced from "Original" Dies!

Provenance is virtually impossible to establish with items such as cap badges, I still have my brass Leek which I purchased in the 1980's and wore for over 20 years, it has my Army number engraved on the slider, but that could be copied quite easily.

It's my personal opinion that if one spends a little time studying badges then it often becomes quite obvious in the majority of cases what is original and what is reproduction. There are quite often the "Tells" which can help diferentiate from Crud and Cracking!

Far too many collectors IMO, go like a greyhound out of the traps and buy, buy, buy and then moan that the hobby is going to the dogs because there are too many repro items about! If people stopped buying repros or do not return them because they only cost a few quid, then they are only fuelling the market!

A bit of a ramble but Genuine can be official, semi official or authorised! As long as it's intended wearer was in an official capacity! The Gaunt B'HAM badges for example were made for collectors so are reproduction or Fake!

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 20-08-15 at 12:25 PM.