View Single Post
Old 10-10-11, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaethon View Post
Next, like I had been advised it is an officer collar badge. Is it true that because tiger is top of the elephant, its belonged to the officer from 1st Battalion (previous 102nd (Royal Madras) Fusiliers)? Which type of uniform this type of insigna was used and what period?

How often battalions insignia varied regarding who is on top - tiger or elephant. I presume different badges were in use mainly before 1914 when there was only 2 battalions. After Service battalions were called up, I think most of the insignia was more standardised and made bigger quantities?

Also was any inisgnia in use to make a difference of battalions during the war?

(guys, sorry my mistakes, English is not my first language).

Yes this is an officers pattern collar badge, it looks a bit dirty. What are the materials of construction? is it silver and gilt? If so it would have been worn on the undress coat from about C. 1900 - 1922.

If bronze then it is a later pattern officers service dress collar. Taken into use sometime after 1904 and worn till disbandment.

It is not true that the two regular battalions had different animals on the top. All of the insignia had the tiger on top with the exception of the O/R full dress collar badges. I know of no reason why these collar badges had the elephant on top.

It is generally the exception rather than the rule that individual battalions of a regiment had unique cap badges.