Thread: RAF Radar badge
View Single Post
Old 20-07-20, 06:55 PM

It depends on what era you are talking about and, as said, it may not have existed long enough to be officially granted a badge. It might also have been officially know as a Signals Unit: I served at several UKADGE* radar stations between 1978-1987 and my first posting at Saxa Vord was officially 91 Signals Unit, followed by 280SU at Troodos - I have both plaques in a box somewhere. As the plaques were ordered from one of several commercial enterprises by the unit and then sold to the personnel lack of an official badge did not stop the units from having plaques made: the plaque I was presented with when posted away from Benbecula is completely different to the approved badge, and Portreath simply plagiarised that of 1 Air Control Centre (1ACC) which had helped set the site up in the late 1970s. A year or so back there was a Signals Unit badge (I forget the number) for sale on ebay for a short-lived radar site in the Radfan during the conflict in Oman during the 1970s (I think), it was very much a home-made affair.

*UK Air Defence Ground Environment

Hope this helps

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.