Thread: Colin Owen book
View Single Post
Old 19-04-15, 11:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
If there is a better book on Southern African badges than Owen I'd very much like to hear about it.

Rgds, Thomas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesianmilitaria View Post
It's a pretty good book but from a Rhodesian collectors perspective there is a lot that isn't in it.
Part of what I said in my first post on this thread.

I don't collect South African items or other Southern African countries items so it might be the best reference book on earth for those countries.

From a Rhodesian collectors point of view it's good when you first start collecting but depending on what you collect then there is a lot missing. However there is no definitive reference book for Rhodesian militaria that I know of and probably never will be. Dudley Walls book was very good but all these books are really only the author's collections just like Frank Kelley has stated.

In this book of Owen's:
Most para wings missing.
Most AD wings missing.
PJI brevets missing.
No explanation of the differences in variations.
No explanation of the differences in stampings (hallmarks) of the officer's and OR's Selous Scouts, RLI, RAR and Greys Scouts badges.
No explanation of when Reuteler Manufacturing started making badges.
No real explanation on a number of badges and a number of the dates they were worn imo are incorrect.

As I have said it is a good book when starting out but in the field that I collect it is seriously lacking but hey I have a copy and every year I might look at something in it.