View Single Post
Old 14-04-19, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woronora View Post
I am of the opinion that the 11th Taranaki adopted its antecedent regiment badge design with a change in the number to indicate its post 1911 unit designation. Other units who also adopted modified antecedent badges were the 5th Otago MR, 11th North Auckland MR and the 10 Otago Rifiles Regiments.

John
John, it is possible the 11th Taranaki adopted its antecedent regiment badge design, however I have not seen any photographic evidence to support that theory.

I do however have a document signed by Lieutenant Colonel William Malone (Officer Commanding the 4th Battalion) that is dated 4th March 1911, which states – “This Battalion has no Badge.

Colonel Malone also submitted a badge design for approval which incorporated battle honours and a bottom scroll with – “4th Wellington Battalion.”

Malones design was approved by General Godley with the alterations that - Honours should not be on badges, suggest omission of circle re in middle of mountain – on scroll at foot “11th Taranaki Rifles.” There is no such regt as “4th Wellington Battalion.”

Thus, as James has rightly pointed out, the IV Battalion Wellington Taranaki Rifles Regiment and the XI Taranaki Rifles Regiment with honour scrolls are somewhat of an enigma.

The following picture of a clean shaven Malone was taken in 1908 during the Wellington district Easter manoeuvres.
As can be seen he is wearing a bugle horn badge with letters NZ on either side.