View Single Post
Old 24-10-20, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrown View Post
Marinus, it would help if you could provide a comparison of the badges' back.

Jack, how do you explain the absence of die flaws on some silver badges made by Gaunt?
In the case of the Gaunt badges we know there are four easily recognisable die flaws: two blobs which sit one above each other on the left hand wing adjacent to the chute rigging, a third blob below the base of the crown on the left hand side and another one in the third chute canopy fold counting right to left.

It appears from photographs of officers Hallmarked silver badges that I have studied that the earlier the date letter, the less die flaws there are, which is what I would expect due to wear in the die which would have accumulated the flaws through use as time went on. If true this would explain the absence of die flaws on some silver badges.

I have not been able to study a badge with the earliest date letter S unfortunately, but the date letter T examples had only the two flaws which sit one above each other on the left hand wing. The flaw at the base of the crown and the flaw in the third chute canopy fold counted from right to left were absent.

The badges in the photographs with date letters U and V had three flaws; the two sitting one above each other on the LHS and the crown base flaw. Both were missing the flaw in the canopy fold. It is my theory an logical that we should expect to see the earliest Hallmarked silver badges (date letter S) without any visible flaws, also those marked sterling like Silverwash's badge without flaws would probably have been made before the die became worn. This theory will fall apart of course if any badges surface with the later date letters minus any of the flaws, although I suppose it is possible that the use of a new die could be an explanation but impossible to verify.

I have also looked at two P marked silver plated badges and an unmarked plated example of which one P plated badge has three flaws and is missing the canopy fold flaw. The other two badges have all four flaws.

I have noticed that in the only two examples of the partially solid reverse other ranks badges in white metal (like the one Silverwash has posted with the beret) that I have, three out of the four flaws are present and the canopy fold flaw is missing.

All the other ranks white metal badges that I have that are of the same pattern as the Gaunt Hallmarked silver badges contain the same die flaws which also appear on some of the Hallmarked silver badges. This led me some years ago to examine closely the probable link between the officers and other ranks badges being made by Gaunt. I have not yet seen any Gaunt pattern other ranks badges without any die flaws and would be more than interested to see examples surface.