View Single Post
Old 25-02-11, 12:49 AM
Banned

These badges are a bit of a mystery...

The RAF used them as collar badges on the service dress tunic, 25mm (or so) with the eagles always facing the right. They were introduced in February 1940 under Air Ministry Order A116/40 and were to be worn with the brass VR collar badge. They were abolished in June 1948 under AMO 368/48, and that was the end of things as far as the RAF were concerned.

The RAAF also wore them, taken from the RAF and introduced shortly after them. Unlike the RAF, the Australians wore them in 'bronzed' metal or black painted metal and in two sizes, a larger one (nearer to 30mm) on the collar of the service dress tunic and a smaller one on the collar of the shirt. In 1948 in common with RAAF policy, the darkened finish gave way to gilt, before the RAAF abolished them altogether in 1949 (although not all went at that time).

I have seen larger brass versions, with English makers names on the revers and I know a dealer who has a larger brass pair at the moment that shows wear. I believe that the RAF Museum has (or had) in store a cap with one on, but I think this was supposition only and dont have any evidence it was ever worn on the cap, by either the RAF or RAAF. Margaret Nobbs, who issued 'notes' for collectors in the late 60s and 70s I think also assumed the larger was a cap badge.

In 30 years I have never been able to confirm what the larger brass ones were as I have no evidence of them ever being worn in the RAF. Its unlikely any were made larger in error by a manufacturer, so its possible the larger ones were RAAF stock, even if UK made.