View Single Post
Old 23-06-19, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc William View Post
Hi lex
Sorry to disagree with your friend on the foreign forum, but your first SBP is definitely of the Honourable Artillery Company … it says so on the garter !
Despite its name, the HAC is the oldest Infantry Regiment in the British Army, incorporated by Royal Charter (Henry VIII) in 1537, although apparently its ancestry can be traced back to 1087 ! Also, it is said that the 1st Foot Guards (later the Grenadier Guards) was originally formed by members of this regiment. So … quite an old and established British Institution.
The SBP you have is an officer's circa 1790 - 1815 and quite a rare "find" .. I have never seen another like it in 60 odd years research. So, worth getting an evaluation from the regiment. Presumably details can be found on the Web. All the very best. Jeff

PS: Yes, some silver badges do not have hallmarks .. tho' I am surprised this one has not. Perhaps it was imported silver ??
Oops,sorry,my mistake,he said there -"3th Infantry Regiment".It says on the plate "Artillery",that is why I automatically wrote so