View Single Post
Old 29-07-18, 04:20 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Hi BC

Well Ive now had a look at George Ward's (who's a friend) book, Victorian Land Forces, 1853 - 1883, which is the Bible on this subject. There are many photos of individuals and groups from this period. The Infantry wore a variety of uniforms and head ware. Most of the uniforms are of the "Hussar" type with frogging or a straight tunic with a single row of buttons down the front and a leather waist belt. Some have a type of "busby" made from either Kangaroo/ Wallaby or Possum skin and the balance the American style of cap shown in your photo that is known as a Kepi. The latter usually have a Bugle badge but the images aren't good enough to make out the detail.

However George shows a Bugle badge as an illustration, this is a Bugle with a QVC but no number in the curl of the bugle.

My pouch badge is 45mm wide by 40mm high and has 2 screw posts N-S with nuts and washers.

Sorry I cant identify the unit and none of the photos in the book have the same back drop. The rifle is however an 1856 pattern .577 Charles Lancaster, Sappers and Miners 2 band short rifle, with oval smooth bore rifling, These weapons were used by most of the Colonial units until the Martini Henry rifle was introduced in the 1870's. I have an example of the rifle which is marked VV on the top of the but plate and its matching bayonet which is brass mounted and has a pipe back. His sword bayonet can be seen between his left leg and the rifle.

I hope that this helps.

Regards

Phil.

Last edited by Lancer 17; 30-07-18 at 04:43 AM.