View Single Post
Old 24-06-20, 06:35 PM

Hi Bill,

Thank you for welcoming me on the forum.

I am aware that Canada (and Australia as well?) actually had its own specific regulations for the eligibility and how service overseas was counted towards the award of these overseas service chevrons, which were apparently based on the British ones but not an exact "copy", so some things differed. I also remember reading about all the commotion these stripes and the Canadian regulations for them had stirred up in the press in Canada when they appeared - especially because, as you pointed out, service in the UK also counted as "overseas service" (i.e. someone sitting in the HQ of the CEF in the UK would be entitled to the same overseas stripes as someone sitting in the trenches in France).

At any rate, I believe that in case of person No.2 (the one that originally served in UDF units) the original (British) regulations should be applied as the units in which they served when the chevrons were instituted were Imperial units (i.e. de facto British, as they were funded by the UK), plus some of the amendments to AO 4/18 specifically address the previous service in UDF units in the GSWA campaign - no doubt in order to clarify how this previous service should be counted in addition to the service in Imperial units.

Again, thank you for your input and looking forward to any additional thoughts on this.

Best regards,
Trendafil