View Single Post
Old 02-12-18, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Thanks for that info (I have the book but haven't had the opportunity to check it).
The badge that I have is of cap rather than beret size, I originally typed that it was a beret badge by mistake.
Typo re the details you've posted above about the cap badge Chris, they refer to the 23rd London's badge?
I was pleased to find the BAC card although it's a little the worse for wear.
Hi Leigh,

If these pesky units did not change names ever five minutes it would be easier.

The LoC is probably the best place to start - bypassing C 4717 entries (change of intent only) on pages 411, 412 and 418 (where 23rd London name also used) we see an East Surrey entry properly for East Surrey on page 421; A/A and Small (beret). As entry is 1952 must be for Tudor Crown.

Move to page 437 and the entry is now for 23rd London Regiment (East Surrey) (TA). This is for St.Edwards Crown but size is not given. On page 444 though the 23rd London Regiment (East Surrey) (TA) is now obsolete on 3rd Jan 1955. The change number is between the two previous entries so must relate to the small Tudor version.

OK so far?

Moving on to Pattern Cards - Pages 502 and 503. Note entry is GM/WM but card 'promoted' for A/A use. Dated 27th Sept 1951 and stamped 18 Oct 1951. This may be for original GM/WM item though. Badges still East Surrey Regiment [Small].

Page 506 - above re-iterated; page 508 - derived pattern entry for 23rd London Regiment (East Surrey) (TA) dated 28th Jan 1958 - info from List of Changes.

Pages 522 and 559 - some notes on both badges with their different unit name.

Page 586 - name of manufacturers of the badge.

Page 601 - Entry for The East Surrey Regiment [Small] with reasons why. Maker on page 602. Page 605 - example front and back of the badge which I believe reconciles with yours. There is also the entry, on page 338, for the larger version under name of 23rd London Regiment (East Surrey) (TA).

My dilemma was this. The small size badge in Tudor Crown in A/A has, to my knowledge, never been found. The 23rd London Regiment (East Surrey) (TA) in large size is reasonably common and has entry in LoC hence inclusion on page 338.

But, I could never find any official info for a small version with St.Edwards Crown yet, they do exist and as such, I made an entry for them on page 605 after taking advice from a member of the forum here who I kept in close contact with throughout the project - glad I did.

All I can say Leigh is that the small badge does exist in St.Edwards Crown and you have a genuine example of it.

Regards,

Chris