Thread: Welsh Regiment
View Single Post
Old 02-04-21, 08:05 PM

Hi Kevin,

Many thanks. The POW feathers from that PY on the right are from the same die as the block font Welsh.

Note the flaws I’ve highlighted. Rather I suspect the overlay is slightly misaligned apparent on the right side of the coronet. Also note the jewel patterns. Cropping the image you can see the cross is higher than the fleur de lis.

There are a great many PY variations, Keith Hook who has been collecting Yeomanry since 1950 has one like it in his collection along with 13 other variations of their ORs badge. He also has the Cheshire Yeo shown earlier in his collection in both GM and bronzed. I do not doubt any of these Yeomanry badges originality. Also the Cheshire Yeo with said plumes is in the first edition Wilkinson and I do not know of any fake badge illustrated in that edition.

Personally I don’t think comparison with pre-1908 V.B. types of coronet is diagnostic. The badge is question post dates that period and encompasses a World War where we know very odd-ball, but completely original, variations arose e.g. the flat topped plumes again, no V.B. ever looked like that but as mentioned previously it spawned a whole series of wartime badges a few of which we have period photos of.

We also know from tenders that in 1916 the WO placed a large order for 4,000 Welsh Cyclists badges in bronzed GM. That is a significant number.

Due to the number seen I suspect the block font type badges may be this order (or part of) by a new wartime manufacturer. A slightly oddly proportioned coronet and font is in my belief nothing abnormal by WW1-era standards especially considering the other anomalies seen.

A new wartime manufacturer would also explain why the features you mention disliking are not seen on earlier badges.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one I think. Hopefully the constructive debate here and points put forward on both sides of the discussion will aid members making an informed decision on this type.

Hwyl,

Luke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9BA694F3-458E-4D4F-9514-B316D60F89C2.jpg (58.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 5FB307B4-69B6-4B99-ADF7-6A9E403D7F1C.jpg (50.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg C3824AD1-362E-4858-8CBA-234A232053B1.jpg (89.4 KB, 21 views)