Thread: buttons
View Single Post
Old 25-06-08, 12:21 PM

Default Dublin Uni

John Mulcahy
Member Join Date: Nov 2007

Re: buttons

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by orasot
Hi John, Hope you are well, I don't know if this is up your street or not, but I posted a pic of 2 Dublin uni otc buttons ages ago & wondered if you had any idea on dates for them. If you look at the first post by 8thfoot titled buttons in the buttons section, my pic is about 3 or 4 in, thanks in advance for your help, don't worry if it's not a topic that interests you, just thought I'd ask. All the best for now, Wilf

Wilf

I had not noticed this thread before. The one on the left is a University of Dublin (now known as Trinity college) OTC button 1910 - 1922. In 1922 3 of these cost 2 pence. I have a copy of "A Military History of the University of Dublin and it's Officer Training Corps" and it gives this detail along with the cost of the cap badges and titles. I would bet money that the one on the right is A button of the University College Dublin (still called UCD today - different from Trinity) OTC established in 1929 and disbanded in 1934 when it was subsumed into the Regiment of Pearse, note the crown is gone and the harp is a Tara or Brian Boru design (thus a free state military formation) - two very desirable buttons. Feel free to post this if you think it is of interest to the forum.

John