View Single Post
Old 20-08-15, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didithevan View Post
So, a daily conundrum for you all. What consititutes an official badge?

1. One that is issued from depot stock through official chains to the unit QMs.
2. One that was sold by the unit PRI often locally commissioned, or bought from a supplier who's offering meets a requirement - authorised by the CO.
3. One that is manufactured on a commission basis by individuals in a unit who then wear it in uniform and authorised by the CO.

Difficult eh? I served in 17/21 and soldiers were advised to ditch the AA badges they wore at depot and buy WM from the PRI. Blackened bronze ones appeared in the late 80's for tactical wear (no part number) and officers, well we just bought our own and only wore the 'official' issued silver one in No1 Dress. So which are official as no one wore the issued one, and who is the actually authorised to authorise?
Hello Stu

I'm no expert in this field, but the following is my view on your conundrum.

I belief the 'official' badge of a regiment is one that has been decided upon by all the relevant Army Clothing committee's etc. and is defined as the official regimental pattern, and is general issue to members of the regiment at public expense, and will have an NSN.

Regimental badges purchased from the PRI are usually of better quality and as you have pointed out, many regt's request lads to ditch their issue badges and obtain another from the PRI, in effect an upgrade but still regimental pattern, usually sourced by PRI, a private purchase with no NSN.

I understand the blackened motto was made available at the PRI as it was clear the was a need for a subdued motto, prior to this most lads apparently used to black their motto's with paint etc. on active service particularly NI.

As for badges commissioned by individuals being worn could you possibly give an example of such a badge? I do know of instances where Nco's Arm badges have been purchased by ex regimental members and worn by the serving NCO's, again these badges were official regimental pattern.

Officers do purchase all their own insignia, however regardless of whether they purchase it from the PRI or Regt'l. tailors it will be the official regimental pattern.

In seems they are all 'Officially worn' but there is only one 'official issue' badge, as it appears to me, that where the badge was purchased is basically immaterial, provided it is of regimental pattern and fit for purpose. I am also fairly sure that the CO of a regiment has a certain amount of autonomy when it comes to making decisions on regimental dress, how far that extends I'm not too sure but I do know that many items are dealt with 'in house' as it were.

Now I've stuck my head above the parapet...........

Rob

The older I get ................the better I was !

Last edited by Robthereiver; 20-08-15 at 05:21 PM.