View Single Post
Old 30-09-20, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Could you post a photo of the bases of the loops please? I assume from what I can see, albeit the photo of the back appears a bit dark and lower resolution on my phone, that they are not ‘dustbin lid’ footed?
Luke, see below a better photo of the badge.
1945 Beret NV White Metal 2.jpg

I've also added a few close-ups of the lugs (if you could clarify what you mean by 'dustbin lid' lugs, the debate would gain in clarity). The left one has been badly twisted.
1945 Beret NV White Metal Right lug closeup.jpg1945 Beret NV White Metal Right lug closeup 2.jpg1945 Beret NV White Metal left lug closeup.JPG

I've also added a photo of an interesting cigarette case provided by Dave Hiorth from Military Antiques in Toronto. The badge on it is clearly of the same type.
Dave's Cigarette Case.jpgDave's Cigarette Case Comp.jpg
It seems unlikely that a copy would have been mounted to the case (but I guess everything's possible).

Other photos of the case can be found on Dave’s website https://militaryantiquestoronto.com/...8e2f1b5c&_ss=r

In my view, this type of badge was genuinely issued towards the end of WW2 or immediately after. As for the badge that is the topic of interest in this thread, it could have been a restrike.
I'd like to see a close-up photo of Paul's 'White Metal Alternative' badge discussed on post #11. This may confirm my opinion.

Last edited by tcrown; 30-09-20 at 04:01 AM.