View Single Post
Old 17-08-18, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Sorry but that's not quite right. Sliders were introduced for the regular army with the NP (Brodrick) hat in 1903. Prior to that they were lugged.

In the warwicks case they wore the FSC with collars and then the lugged badge with the scroll. The scroll remained for the Brodrick and then the peaked cap.
Yes you’re right Alan and in truth I was aware of the Brodrick cap’s significance in that regard, as this has been raised several times in this forum over the years. I made a mistake referring just to the 1890s. FSC’s continued in use in India after 1902 and the cap enjoyed a renaissance even when not regulation in the years leading up to WW2, eventually becoming formalised as you will know well. It was really this later period that was rather vaguely in my mind, as the early period invariably used the collar badge as mentioned. I/we cannot be sure about the vintage of the badge shown and I’m really suggesting that as the badge is so neatly cut down and the slider clipped it ‘might’ have been for wear on a FSC. Beyond the movie prop option there seems relatively few other logical rationales for its existence, although I’m not a particular aficionado of the insignia of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment.