Thread: Records query
View Single Post
Old 24-12-18, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Bubble View Post
BWEF, I checked with Mum last night & she's not aware of anything that he kept fom back then.
Thats a shame. It could have saved you both time and money.

Still, you can still apply via the link given earlier in this thread.

Something else occurs to me. In 1939 the government did a register of England and Wales. Probably to do with the later introduction of identity cards. It is possible that those away with the forces got a mention?

I doubt it, but it could be worth a try as you can see it for free on "My Heritage". The only problem is that you have to give credit card details when you join for a trial period. However, if you make sure you cancel in time you will not be charged.

The reason I think it possible, but not likely, is that servicemen away from home due to WW1 got a mention on the "Absent Voters Lists" compiled for the 1918 election. Some of these survive, and will give you the mans unit, rank, number etc.

As I say, it is possible, but not probable. However, it might be worth a look as it is free. You could find out more about your family anyway. Remember, there was no 1941 Census due to WW2, and many of us will be dead before that would have been opened, if it existed.

I found via the 1939 Register that my great grandmother was still alive. In her 80s and living with one of her sons, my great uncle.

Last edited by BWEF; 24-12-18 at 07:11 PM.