Thread: Cap Badge
View Single Post
Old 08-01-22, 01:45 PM

I’m very confused as to why these electrical lugs are always talked of as Canadian.

These electrical stamped brass lugs with a circular hole are found on King’s Own Scottish Borderers, Seaforth Highlanders, Royal Scots, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, (pre-1937) Black Watch, Highland Light Infantry.

To the best of my knowledge the Canadians did not use all those designs. Even the above badges used by them I would expect they are likely of British manufacture.

The stamped Ellis lugs, as I believe they’re called, found on the Canadian Parachute Corps badges often have oval holes to the lug.

Flat stamped electrical lugs indeed are also found on several WW2 badges inc. Parachute Regiment and Reconnaissance Corps, however, these for the most part differ in shape being more D shaped with a rectangular hole.

The RTR is found with the flat lugs with a circular hole, often plated from what I’ve seen. I’ve a KSOB with identical lugs and the whole badge may be nickel plated over GM.

My opinion is these are British made badges which were not all produced at the same time, but likely for the same reasons i.e. ease or speed of manufacture. So the wars would be a good guess.