View Single Post
Old 22-10-18, 02:01 PM

Default WW1 Battalion patches- silk & felt.

I notice from the IWM collections, that battalion patches of the London Regiment often seem to be of two types- either silk or felt. Attached is an illustration of what I mean. The "silk" example is on the left and the felt one is shown on the right, sewn under the embroidered shoulder title (I am sorry, I cannot post actual images as they are not mine). Is there any reason for this difference or is it just down to what was available at the time? I feel there must be a reason as quite a few battalions have sent samples of both.

LRB patches.jpg

What I am wondering is if it is possible that the silk versions were used on 'canvas' covers for steel helmets. The IWM evidence is not explicit on this point, which is why I ask. It is interesting to note that most of these examples of silk patches have been sent in to the IWM from battalions in the 56th Division where such patches were definitely worn, but not from the 47th or 58th Divisions where they do not seem to have been worn.

Here is an interesting photograph of a battalion patch worn on a 'canvas' cover. I think this must be quite a rare example:
Orderly room staff of the 1st Battalion, Royal Fusiliers, keep the unit's paperwork up to date in a trench near Guemappe, 29th April 1917

Many thanks,

Chris

With thanks to forum members Orasot & Jelly Terror for information on which I base this query.

Last edited by Drew; 22-10-18 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Size of font