View Single Post
Old 15-08-18, 07:56 AM

I think that is a lovely example, Jerry, as I said, in reply to the doubter, elsewhere on this forum, I would be very happy with it.
Was it expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
A fairly recent pickup, it did get shared on some fb groups then on here by someone who doubted it was pukka.

In the hand it is a one looker textbook officers private purchase beret by moss Bros and has the horrible sticky sweat diamond over the label which will be familiar to anyone who collects WWII and just after officer headgear which discolours to a hardly transparent sticky brown colour. It was shrinking and some of the stitching had come undone and I was able to carefully remove the makers label from behind it for the photos.

As is typical for many wartime and shortly after PP berets the bullion insignia is on a black backing rather than maroon. I think the maroon becomes more common later, though some officers berets such as an example for the AAC I have seen does have the maroon backing, but most did not for senior officers, in fact I have not seen any from the period (1940's/50's) that do have it.

As is typical for wartime and into the 1970's the edge trim is ribbed silk, not leather which at that time was a feature of OR's berets, though some officers did purchase and wear such during the war.