Thread: NZ ORDNANCE
View Single Post
Old 05-11-16, 11:36 PM

Hi RNeil, it is good to hear you are currently writing a history of the Royal New Zealand Army Ordnance Corps and it predecessors from 1840 to 1996, they played an essential part in our military history and have not received the credit they deserve.

As a student and collector of pre 1954 NZ military headdress, it is important for me to understand supply, distribution and disposal of military clothing/badges during and post WW1. As such I have collected quite a bit of information, but as with any research there are always many gaps, such as there is with the dates of authorisation and introduction of NZ Ordnance badges.

In the past I have lumped NZ Pay Corps and NZAOD and NZAOC (Home Service) badges and buttons as nothing more than reinforcement badges that were worn by civilians that were given military uniforms. Perhaps it is time to re-evaluate who the Home Service really was.

My suggestion is that we both share our knowledge on the evolution of the NZAOC by starting with the dates and appointments of NZAOD and NZAOC (Home Service) personnel and NZAOD and NZAOC (Active Service) personel from 1914 to 1923 that we do know.