View Single Post
Old 29-08-16, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Yours is an officers badge if solid silver or nco's badge if plated or w/m.

Remember that there was a strong tradition within the KOSB to wear the oldest badge possible, either handed down from ancestors who served earlier, hence the tradition, or bought wherever possible, which muddles the discussion about what is original and what is not.

Attached pic was taken in Irak. Note the Victorian pattern badges.

Rgds, Thomas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
No, the different amount of arrow loops or oillets and rounded scroll are signs of officers badges.

I also believe the museum is wrong with the 'very rare 1915 brass badge'. Why would such a badge exist? There was no reason to produce these badges in brass instead of white metal. The various threads of IWM pics with shoddy descriptions demonstrate the fallibility of museums quite sufficiently.

Rgds, Thomas.
Thomas
I agree. Last year when I was in Berwick I popped in to see the curator to buy from him Trevor Royle's book on the KOSB. I mentioned the 1915 brass badge that 3DG shows and said pretty much what you write above. He acknowledged what I said, but that was as far as it was going to go. As far as the museum were concerned it was a 1915 brass badge. Having said all that I don't wish to knock the exhibits which on the whole were excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to the former barracks and museum as I do other Scottish military museums.