View Single Post
Old 29-08-16, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Yours is an officers badge if solid silver or nco's badge if plated or w/m.

Remember that there was a strong tradition within the KOSB to wear the oldest badge possible, either handed down from ancestors who served earlier, hence the tradition, or bought wherever possible, which muddles the discussion about what is original and what is not.

Attached pic was taken in Irak. Note the Victorian pattern badges.

Rgds, Thomas.
Thanks Thomas.

The fretted round bottom scroll badge I have is w/m and you now confirm what I was rapidly concluding myself. That it was intended as an NCO's - though of course as a hand me down could have been worn by just about anyone. I even asked my sister who lives in a village outside Berwick to invite the retired KOSB major who lives close by in for a dram. I was hoping for the price of a couple of whisky's I could get some info from the horses' mouth. She may do so yet.

To add to the fake rounded scroll KC you show, I include a scan of 2 fake QVC's that I had picked up and disposed of. This is the fake I mentioned earlier and started off my reservation about round bottom O/R badges. eBay is peppered with this QVC one and they come with various degrees of artificial ageing. Usually a brownish wash that has been quickly and haphazardly painted on.

I didn't realize that there was also a seeded version of the a/a badge - thanks for that info. I'll need to look for one. Perhaps worth reiterating that there is also a smaller a/a badge often sold as the small glengarry badge which is nothing of the sort.

Thanks again for the info.
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fake QVC KOSB.jpg (117.9 KB, 67 views)