View Single Post
Old 16-07-17, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
hi mark
had the opportunity to have a quick look through your book last night and am most impressed.
a few questions jumped out at me regarding some of the items, so I hope you don't mind answering one or 2 here?
on page 60 you show a pic of the Australian Horse set. there is a metal title AH with a brooch fitting. can you confirm this is Australian Horse or indeed military? you make mention of the hat and collar badge specifications but I don't think you included the title?
many years ago I had the opportunity to visit Stokes and there was a big pile of these badges never issued/sent. I immediately assumed Australian horse but was told it was actually a cape badge for the nurses at Austin Hospital. they said they would never issue a military badge/title with a brooch fitting and that brooch fittings for nurses badges was the norm.
would love to hear your thoughts
bc
You may well be right. The Australian Army insignia design specs that we have for that period (MGO/Aust 991) and Appendix 34 and 34A (for The Australian Horse), certainly do not show details for that shoulder title design... and that's not a good sign. Nevertheless, the Army's records can be hellishly difficult to get in a full 'complete' state at times... so caution is always needed when sorting record 'gaps', to form a basis to conclusively ruling an item either 'in' or 'out'.

As we do further research on Volume 3, we will be following up a long list of research questions with Canberra. Certainly, it will be good to get to the bottom of this item (and quite a few others).

So, once we get the records needed to rule items either in or out (and this one looks like it will probably be ruled 'out'... given on your direct knowledge of the item), then the 'AH' title may be included in future Editions (in the orange section at the back of the book), 'for disambiguation purposes' only. That will be a good thing in its own right of course.

Regards and thanks for your feedback, it is appreciated. That's something we always like to formally acknowledge as the Editions progress over the years, as we have with many people who've offered reliable/testable information over the last 15 years
Mark