View Single Post
Old 11-06-16, 07:30 PM

Hello guys, I would like to add to this discussion please.

As senior Curator of the PFF Collection RAF Wyton and have been for over 12 years now, the information I have accrued over this time has came from many PFF veterans as well as the records held within the AHB, the deputy director is part of our team.

Anyway I can only speak of this type of badge with regards to the PFF, SAS1 you said;

'In a nutshell, the notion that Pathfinder badges with a broach fitting are post war is rubbish. The 'ISSUE' badges all had broach type fittings and were issued, as mentioned, with a certificate. Each Airman had more than one uniform (I think one battledress and two service dress tunics), and as such it was quite common for am Airman to beg, borrow, buy or steal additional badges for his uniforms.'

With the information I have accrued I think you may be mistaken, sorry, AMOA 1244 - 1942 brought into service an, 'EAGLE, GILDING METAL', 'B' class store item, Sect Ref 22H/629. 3 badges per individual were a free issue. Initially worn on both flying jacket (BD) and service tunic, however withdrawn from wear on the flying jacket for obvious reasons though this did not stop some individuals wearing it!!! It was agreed that it could be worn on the BD post war.

The brooch style fitting is indeed post war as all PFF awarded badges were of, predominantly, the stud type fitting though blade fittings were also issued. Added to that, Forage Cap as well as Visor Cap badges were used as these were easy to come by.

The majority of badges I have on uniforms are the studded type. I have none with the brooch fitting. The brooch type badges I have were subsequently given to us from the families when these brave chaps sadly passed away.

I hope this makes sense and I'm always happy to answer any questions regards the PFF.

Warmest regards

Johnny