View Single Post
Old 01-04-19, 12:16 AM

I cannot really tell what the colours are from the photo is it really white & blue?, the only thing I have that might be relevant is the following from the 1919 IWM Questionnaire return of 2 R.Irish held at the Imperial War Museum.

"On joining the 63rd (RN) Division in May 1918, a patch 2 1/2 " x 1 1/2" of regimental colours blue red green was worn on the shoulders by all ranks. alt 1 1/2 square patch for companies , A, Red B, Blue C, Yellow D, Green"

Does not state on which arm worn or indeed if both arms, unlike the entry just above this one which states that while the battalion was in 16th Div, the divisional badge was worn on both sleeves.

From my records 2 Bn, 5 Bn 7 Bn & the Depot answered the 1919 questionnaire and there were no answers to the 1917 questionnaire by any units of the regiment (I am open to correction on that). The battalions response is dated 2 Oct 1919 and the cover note states that the response is provided by Maj. (bt Lt Col). H.G. Gregorie DSO as a description of the dress marks etc. of the battalion during the war.

I tend to agree with "JT" on the lower badge.

John