View Single Post
Old 21-07-21, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with your statement when you refer to learning about a badge and it’s history. By doing such research, one gains a huge amount of respect for the munition and factory/ shipyard etc workers who not only had a hazardous job but also suffered ill health because of the noxious fumes that they were forced to endure on a daily basis. Unsung heroes in my opinion and the badge reminds me of the contribution they made to the war effort. My favourite OWS badge is beaten, chipped, scratched, discoloured ……but it proudly shouts its history and I would not part with it for all the money in the world.
Hi James

Absolutely! It's such a shame that we can't "unmask" some of these unsung heroes of the industrial past. I have a Turner Bros badge and their main claim to fame was that ubiquitous product of a bygone era....asbestos.

I spent 3 months in a factory that blatantly flouted H & S and these days I'd probably happily "shop" them but I was young and stupid.

I've just cast an eye over some of my OWS badges (I've posted just a few photos) and hate to think what they might be worth to some of these moneyed chumps.

Anyway, I like them and I'm keeping them!