View Single Post
Old 19-07-14, 08:51 AM
Badge Guru

Dean,

I have located some interesting information for you.

The accounts I have are brief. One is a hand written by the vet himself, the other is a published letter to his mother. I have another account of rifle training of the Lincolns. A casualty roll for the action we discussed.....when you see the length of that list I certainly question the 1st merely being a rear guard force! The Medal News also published an article in 1986 regarding the 1st Lincolns ability with a rifle in that action having interviewed two regulars who were there. I would be more than happy to supply you with all of this information free of charge. PM me your email address.

It would appear that 15 rounds a minute is a low estimate......that was the minimum requirement and you wouldn't be allowed to leave the range until you achieved it. 25 rounds a minute for the best soldiers. On the range 6 days a week apparently, with accurate shooting at 600 yards! That information is from a vet who was actually there.

I have no idea why Hastings is making a point of questioning it? he did get one thing right though, the German artillery fire was horrendous at Mons, particularly on Mons itself. Apparently buildings were falling over around the Lincolns as they moved through Mons. I can hardly blame them for not wanting to stay in one place. Anyway, you read that letter and make up your own mind.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 19-07-14 at 09:00 AM.