View Single Post
Old 11-11-15, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
Hi Everyone
I have started this show case off for you all to show and tell about those special items of headdress that some of us have that sit in their special place often in a closed hidden box out of sight and never getting any limelight that they deserve .

Well my contribution is not sitting in a box or hidden away, I have it on display in my collection room! What a great idea ASR!
I hope the membership would not object to an RN example of a very rare piece of headdress, one that not many survive into this century as these hats were made of organic straw like material, similar to basket weaving!

So I considered myself extremely fortunate to luck into this hat back in 2012, I ran a topic on it then & here is link for those that might like to read more on these hats:
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ghlight=sennet

The RN Sennet hat was worn during the 19th century by RN ratings (& there are photos of RN Officers wearing them also in hot tropical climates, ie: jungles of Africa on campaigns in that continent) up to the Great War period.
This example I am fairly certain dates from approx. the turn of the century
(19th to 20th) period.
I will attach a few photos & more can be viewed by clicking on the link above.

Also attached a group of sailors wearing the sennet hats taken on board HMCS (formerly HMS) Niobe in 1910. I have the medals to the tall rating third from the right back row, wearing the Long Service medal ribbon.

RCN Bryan
A VERY NICE AND RARE ITEM I have never handled on of these thanks for showing it !!!
steve

MINE
The answers are out there its a mater of doing the detective work to get them !