View Single Post
Old 03-04-21, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1689 View Post
Just to add a few comments to this thread.
The Wessex Volunteers were formed on the 1st April 1967
Re named 1st Battalion Wessex Volunteers on 1 April 1971 on the formation of the 2nd Battalion.
Finally renamed as the 1st Battalion the Wessex Regiment (Rifle Volunteers) and the 2nd Battalion the Wessex Regiment (Volunteers) on 30th March 1972
It was the 2nd Battalion's 50th anniversary last Thursday and a reunion was planned for today at Brock Barracks Reading, now postponed.
Please find attached a page from a document dated 1973 that was given to recruits for A Company 2 Wessex which mentions the Duke of Connaught collar badges.
That's right and I need to correct what I said, It was the Senior NCO's who wore the Duke of Connaught's collar dogs, everyone else wearing the Wessex Wyverns. My confusing is with the Army Cadets who shared the Duke of Connaught's drill hall with A company 2 Wessex. In Connaught detachment (Hants & IoW) Army Cadet Force, Corporals and above wore the collar badge of the Duke of Connaught's Own 6th Bn Hampshire Regiment, that had been reformed as 383 light field regiment Royal Artillery (1947-66) as a beret badge.