View Single Post
Old 19-01-20, 06:02 PM

Default 2nd Volunteer Battalion Wiltshire Regiment

Added a album of 2nd vol battion for a few days
Following Cardwell reforms of 1881 only one volunteer battalion was raised for the Wiltshire Regiment until the formation of the T/A in 1908 There was no 1st vol battalion
Now for wringing of hands and banging of heads on a brick wall -o yes there is a 1st Volunteer battalion I”be seen a cap badge for sale
Following army order of 1918 one of the Wiltshire V T C became the 1 st Volunteer battalion of the Wiltshire Regiment with a strength of 820 men guarding railway track A couple of 1 st Volunteer cap badges have been for sale recently -one with some other suspect Volunteer Battalions badges
1st Volunteer Battalion Wiltshire Regimental History (1st World War) published in 1919 compiled by the adjutant Capt F C Whiting
The cap badge on the front if the NORMAL Wiltshire cap badge - If they had thier own cap badge and I suspect very proud of it You would assum this to be on the cover If there is photo evidence of this badge being worn I would like to see it As far as I” am aware the museum does not have this badge in thier collection
Sensible /observations welcome
David

Last edited by 49lassiepen; 20-01-20 at 09:30 AM.