View Single Post
Old 04-09-09, 04:08 PM

Default Thanks for the info.

The photos are either a group of guys from either 2 Tank Troops Workshop, or the 123 L.A.D. Since the one fellow I can identify by name was in both units, and is NOT wearing a 79th Div patch but still 1 Cdn Army I know the photo is before Xmas of 1944.

The appearance of the Y&L badge has thrown me, I'll have to scour my records again and see if I can identify who this might have been? I also enlarged my photo and I am pretty sure it is a CVSM ribbon with maple leaf device, tilted at a slight angle (comparison is with the tunic of the man standing to his right). For certain it is not an MID as in 1944, as it would NOT be affixed to a ribbon (the War Medal ribbon was not issued until after the war ended) Since he is wearing a CVSM he must be a Canadian and not a British Craftsman on loan?

The odd cap badges also reminds me that this same group also had a practice (at least in the field) of wearing two beret devices, I have seen two photos and an original period beret, that has the corps/regimental badge and next to it an "artificer" trade badge. See photo. This fellow (Craftsman Ernie Barker) also has a unique painted jerkin with the 2 Tk Tps Workshop "Howling Wolf" (right breast) and a very Canadian maple leaf (left breast).

Anyone have any other photo of this practice??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CVSMcompare.jpg (45.9 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Ernie Barker123LAD.jpg (44.7 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by WJ Miller; 04-09-09 at 07:55 PM. Reason: fix grammatical error.