View Single Post
Old 25-03-19, 10:18 AM

Here are the images I said I would post.

The large image shows a group photograph of all the Sisters of the Naval Nursing Service serving at RNH Haslar in 1900 - that is nearly one-third of all members of the Naval Nursing Service. Most don't seem to be wearing any type of ornate waistbelt clasp at all. Those that are are mainly wearing civilian style nurses buckles. Only one appears to be wearing what looks like a naval officers waistbelt clasp.

The second image is a close-up of one of the nurses buckles being worn. It is obviously not a naval officers style of waistbelt clasp.

The final image shows what does appear to be a naval officers style of waistbelt clasp. Such a clasp is not listed in any documentation relating to the uniform of the Naval Nursing Service. One would have expected that, if it were official issue, ALL the Sisters in the photograph would have been wearing one and they obviously aren't. This leads me to believe that this clasp has been privately purchased by the Sister wearing it. She has either had a standard RN waistbelt clasp silvered or is wearing one from the Naval Forces of Victoria because it is suitably naval and the right colour. The fact that this Sister is wearing one does not, in my opinion, enable us to say that such a waistbelt clasp is THE waistbelt clasp of the Naval Nursing Service.

And now I'll shut up!

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan 1.jpg (59.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpeg Scan.jpeg (28.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpeg Scan 2.jpeg (37.7 KB, 21 views)