View Single Post
Old 24-03-19, 02:42 PM

Hi!

The Victorian QARNNS belt clasp you have is not in fact for QARNNS at all as they didn't come into existence until 1902. The first belt clasp worn was the King's Crown version you show.

The Victorian clasp is actually the sword belt clasp of the Naval Forces of the colony of Victoria in Australia. Their belt clasps and buttons were all in silver. I have both the Victorian Naval Forces sword belt clasp and the dirk belt clasp (slightly smaller) in my collection.

Following the King's Crown version came the Queen's Crown version - that is the one you appear to be missing.

Until 1962 all members of QARNNS were officers. It was in that year that a QARNNS Ratings Branch was established and it was in that year that the training of QARNNS ratings as State Registered Nurses and State Enrolled Nurses commenced. These wore the third of the belt clasps you show.

I have examples of all the belt clasps. Until a few years ago they were fairly easy to find but like all QARNNS badges and insignia they are now much more scarce. But they do turn up so keep looking!

Pete