View Single Post
Old 29-05-21, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Thanks to Tim for adding to my confusion !

I knew that other workers came to the UK under the scheme :

What I didn't know was that they were given a different "War Worker" badge (see photo 1) , there were 2 versions made by Stokes & Sons , Melbourne :

One had a plain back , with makers mark and stamped with a badge number.

The other had Navvies & Labourers (see photo 2) and also the makers mark + badge number.

These names/badge numbers also appear on the NAA website but a check of the on-line files which are available (434 out of 6347) and other resources indicate if the person was a War Worker/Navvie or a Munitions Worker. This explains why two people appear to have the same badge number.

The NAA also has a list of Munitions/War Workers which would indicate what group they fall into but it is not yet available on-line.

The first numbers on Neil Smith's booklet indicate the file or list number used to confirm/verify the badge number (second number on list). I am guessing that he spent a lot of time at the NAA digging through and photo-copying all the relevent documents !!!

I'm 95% sure I've got this cracked but will do a bit more research.

You are like a dog with a bone , just wont give it up Well done and keep going . BTW do you have N Smiths booklet ??